Tuesday, August 21, 2007

Xantham Gum

Xantham gum n. A natural gum of high molecular weight produced by culture fermentation of glucose and used as a stabilizer in commercial food preparation. (from answers.com)

It's expensive, can be hard to source and indispensable in gluten free baking. It adds much needed cohesion to gluten free baked goods, especially bread.

A couple of months ago, I switched from El Peto Xantham gum to a commercially available product from Grain Processors. There is a couple of substantial differences between the two. Commercial xantham gum is a finer powder and much more potent. I use about half as much of the commercial as I would have with the El Peto product. So, in recipes that I post please take that into account.

1 comment:

Birds Hill Enterprises said...

could you tell me where you purchase the xantham gum commercially?